Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Learning Profile


     On the 12th of January we learned about learning profiles. We learned that everyone has not only a dominent brain but also a dominent eye, ear, hand, and foot. People with a dominant right brain are gestalt and people with a dominant left brain are logical. As I thought, I was left brain dominant. Everything else is right dominant which makes me profile A. This means that when I am stressed, my eye, ear, hand and foot still all work. It also means that I have difficulty seeing the big picture and that I focus on the details.


     Being a profile A means that I should sit on the left side of the room so that I can access my right ear easily. I know that I am right ear dominant because we did a test in class. For me, when I pick up the phone, I would usually bring it up to my right ear. Another test we did was that imagine that someone is talking on the other side of the door. You want to know what they are saying so you go up to the door and put your ear on it. When I acted that out, I put my right ear on the door confirming that I am right ear dominant. It is important that I can access my right ear easily because it means that I can hear the teacher better. I also learn best when I focus on the details. I process by analysis, verbalization and writing. Being a profile A also means that I like and have the ability to follow step-by-step visual and auditory instructions. I learn best from oral and written communication. This means that I am not very creative or emotional. I think that is very true because I like to follow instructions. I also like it when there is only one correct answer. Because I am a visual and auditory learner, this can mean that I might find it hard to excel at physical education. 

     I should be encouraged to understand information from a whole perspective. I should also allow time for my ideas to generate. I need to learn how to not always ignore and dismiss my ideas to quickly. This happens to me very frequently especially in humanities. When we are have to write a story but not told what to write about, I get ideas but most of them I would ignore. This would make what I write about less creative and in other words, more boring. I also need to trust my instincts more. Sometimes, my movements would be planned. This means that I don't like to improvise because I would have to trust my instincts. To help me trust my instincts, I could try to draw blindfolded because I would not be able to see what I was drawing in result forcing me to follow my instincts.


Strategies that would help me learn include trying freeform painting and writing poems that don't rhyme. Freeform painting would help me because it would help me to trust my instincts and to use my imagination. In freeform painting, there are no rules and your results can never be wrong. Freeform painting also allows me to show my emotion through the artwork. For example, if I was sad then I might paint using black, grey, and brown but if I was happy, I would use bright colors like yellow and green. Freeform painting will help me be more creative and show my emotions more and this would help me to write better stories in humanities. Writing poems that don't rhyme can also help me a lot. It will help me to be more imaginative and it will improve my writing. It will help me to be more imaginative because there are no rules and I could write about anything. Even if it doesn't make sense to others, it is okay. This means that I can use a lot of imagination. By writing poems, I am also improving my writing because I am practicing my writing skills and practice make perfect.



     I would like my teachers to know that though I am suppose to try to use my imagination more, I do not like to be imaginative or creative. I like it when I have specific instructions to follow. Though I like to have instructions, the thing that I dislike the most is when teachers give instructions that are not clear. It is annoying because you know that they want you to do something in a specific way but you don't exactly understand what they want you to do. Another thing that I would like teachers, especially Mr. Smith and Ms. Thomson to know is that I don't like to perform what to the class. I don't like to because I am always not sure if what I was doing correct or not. I also don't like it because I think it is embarrassing when you make a mistake.

Graphic Citation:
http://qwickstep.com/search/learning-brain.html
http://www.sacredheartsns.net/poetry/

No comments:

Post a Comment