Friday, November 5, 2010

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Discussion Reflection #1

In humanities, I am reading the book The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi for literature circles. In literature circles discussions, my group and I have to share the passages that we picked and why we picked it, our questions and answers, our connections to the book and some new vocabulary that we learned. This is my reflection for our first literature circles discussion for The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.

How did your discussion help your understanding of the novel?
My discussion helped me understand the book better because my group made me think about the book from a different view. My group members and I all have very different personalities and that causes what point of view we think from to be different. Before the discussion, I thought that Captain Jaggery was the "bad guy" in the book. After the discussion, my group members gave me a few more possibilities. The discussions also help me understand the book better because if I have any questions, I can ask my group during the discussion. The last way that the discussion helped me to understand the book better is because during discussion when we share our questions, it makes me think deeper into the book to try and answer my groups questions. That makes me realize some things about the characters that I never realized before.

What connections did you make during your discussion?
My group and I made a lot of connections during our discussion. Some of them were when we were sharing our passages. A lot of the passages and why we choose them were the same. We also made a lot of connections when we were sharing our connections to the book. Sometimes when another person is sharing their connection, it reminds me of something similar that happened to me before. The last connections that we made was that we all thought that the book was interesting to read.

What do you predict will happen in the book?
I predict that there is someone on the ship that wants to harm Charlotte. I think that it might be the Captain, Zachariah, or Mr. Keetch. Charlotte is in danger. I also think that in the next few chapters, Charlotte would start to feel lonely and start to become friends with the crew. I think that because the only people on the ship with Charlotte are the crew and the captain. Charlotte likes the captain because he is a gentleman but he is also very busy and does not have much time to sit and talk to Charlotte. The only other people that Charlotte can talk to is the crew. I think that at first, Charlotte would try to avoid the crew but soon get too lonely and start talking to them. When she talks to them, they would slowly start becoming friends. 

Even though I find it hard to fill in the discussion sheet, I think that it is worth the time. The discussions help me understand the book much better in many different ways. I also think that the discussions are fun. In my opinion, they are the best part of literature circles.

Graphic Citations:
http://boughanfire.com/2009/09/book-review-true-confessions-of-charlotte-doyle/

No comments:

Post a Comment