Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Time I Showed Courage

A time I showed courage was when my family and I were on a holiday in Redang. Redang is an island off the east coast of Malaysia and is famous for snorkeling. My family and I went there for three days and two nights.

On the first day of our trip, we got our snorkels and went for open-sea snorkeling. We got to swim in the middle of the ocean and see a lot of amazing fish. There were small fish and big fish, shy fish and confident fish. The only bad thing was that the sea water was very, very salty. The next day we went for two snorkeling trips. The first one was in the morning at a marine park and the second was a afternoon open-sea snorkeling. They were both really fun and exciting, but the excitement doesn't end there.

In the evening of the second day, my family and I were walking on the beach. It was a low tide and my sisters and I decided to go out to the sea. We were nearly there when a slipped and fell. I reached out to grab something and cut my hand on a coral. It was a really small but deep cut. I quickly washed the cut in water and it soon stopped bleeding. It didn't hurt but my parents insisted that I went to the hotel's first aid room.

We had to wait for a long time before it was our turn. When the doctor saw my hand, he said that I would need to get stitches within 24 hours or I might get an infection! Getting an infection would mean that it would hurt twice as much when I got stitches. Both my sisters have had stitches before and told me that it hurt. I was really afraid and didn't want to feel any pain. In the end I still got the stitches.

The doctor told me that only the injections would hurt, and it did. I could feel the needle going through my skin. After the injections, I had to wait for a few minutes for the injections to work. When I couldn't feel my hand anymore, the doctor gave me two stitches. He also gave me bandages and pain killers and I was free to go. The doctor told me that I wasn't aloud to get my hand wet for a week. Back in the hotel room my sisters kept asking me is it hurt and I told them the truth, yes, it hurt a lot! I managed cry or scream when I got my stitches and I felt really proud of myself for being able to tell the doctor to give me stitches. The next day, my family and I went back to Kuala Lumpur and my hand didn't hurt anymore.

My experience of getting stitches helps me whenever I have to get other injections. I would always tell myself that it couldn't hurt more than receiving stitches. I am now braver because of them. My conclusion is that it was a good but painful experience.


Graphic Citation:
http://www.plan-a-destination-wedding.com/bavaro-princess-wedding-package.html

3 comments:

  1. You did a lot of writing.I like your story your story about how you and your family going on a trip to Redang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your story! It was very descriptive and told how a lot of people are afraid of small things. I liked how you were brave enough to get stitches. I would've been so afraid! Something that I learned about you was that even though your sisters told you how much stitches hurt, you didn't start crying or freaking out about it(like I probably would have done).You just told the doctor to give you the stitches. I enjoyed reading your blog post!

    ReplyDelete